CRIMSON, ELI DEBATERS SPLIT IN CONTESTS ON FOURTH TERM

Both Positive Teams Win; Ex-Governor Hurley is Judge

Small crowds at both Harvard and Yale saw debating teams from the schools divide the honors in a home-and-home debate last Friday evening on the question: "Resolved, That President Roosevelt should be elected to a fourth term." In each debate the affirmative side emerged triumphant.

Nearly 50 people gathered in the Lowell House Junior Common Room to see Ellis Kaplan '46 and Robin Worthington '47, of the Harvard Debating Council, attacking the fourth term, defeated by T. Lawrence Tolan and Steven Comiskey of Yale.

At the same time another team from the Debating Council, consisting of Philip Treen '45 and Frank Weldich of the NROTC, defending the affirmative position in the same question, triumphed over another team from Yale. This debate took place in New Haven.

The judges for the home debate included Charles Francis Hurley, former Governor of the State of Massachusetts. Dean Hanford and Theodore Morrison '23, Director of the English A Department. Hurley prefaced the decision, which was based on a two-to-one vote, with a brief speech.

Warning against the imminent possibility of a disastrous deadlock between the President and a recalcitrant Congress, the Crimson home debators proposed as a possible alternative Wendell Willkie. However, they failed to establish to the satisfaction of the judges sufficient reason for the removal of President Roosevelt from office at this crucial time.