COLONEL PURDON APPOINTED MILITARY SCIENCE PROFESSOR

Philip Chase, Former Dean, Will Retire on August 31

Acting in recognition of his position as Commandant of the Army Training Schools here, the President and Fellows of Harvard College last week announced the appointment of Colonel Francis L. Purdon, Infantry, USA, to serve as professor of Military Science and Tactics while detailed to the University by the Government, from May 1, 1944.

Also announced was the retirement, to take effect August 31, of Philip Putnam Chase '00, lecturer on History and tutor in the Department of History. Once an assistant dean of Harvard College, he has been associated with the University in varying capacities since 1919.

Colonel Purdon, who took command of the Army units here from temporary Commandant Major Anthony J. Nogelo at the beginning of May, came here with a long record of Staff work with the Army. Graduated from the Military Academy, Class of 1909, he served in France with the 3rd Division, winning his gold leaves June 5, 1918.

Returned From Retirement

Returning to this country after the war, he served in a variety of positions, including two tours of duty as an instructor at West Point, two years as professor of Military Science and Tactics at Syracuse, and two years on the faculty of the Fort Benning Infantry School. In January of 1941 he returned to active duty from three years voluntary retirement to serve with the inspector General's Department of the First Service Command. It was from this post that he reported to his present command.