Harwood and Correll, Ace Cindermen, Lead Athletes

Pole-Vaulter, Runner Feature Sport Scene

Pete Harwood, New England A.A.U. pole-vault title holder, entered the V-12 and Eliot House from Phillips Exeter Academy, New Hampshire. His father, a 1920 Harvard man and U.S. Olympic pole-vaulter, started Pete vaulting with an old birch pole in the fifth grade at Concord, Mass. By the time Harwood had reached the eighth grade, he was clearing 8 ft., 6 in., although at the time his real ambition was baseball. It wasn't until his junior year at Exeter that Harwood discarded everything else and concentrated on the pole-vault, finishing the season with a jump of 10 ft., 8 in.

Last spring at the New England A.A.U. meet, he climaxed his schoolboy career by leaping 12 ft., 53/3 in. for a new Exeter Academy vault record. He considers this a bigger thrill than his 12 ft., 6 in. tie for third in the National Junior A.A.U. championships at Randall's island, New York.

Pete, who intends to remain at Harvard after the war, won't be able to compete this summer under the first-term V-12 ruling but looking ahead to the winter and spring seasons, says that he hopes some day to vault 14 feet. It praise of head coach Jaako Mikkola, he adds, "I think Jaako can get me up there."

A Freshman who is destined to get places in the Harvard athletic world, is Sid Correll, from Dayton, Ohio, whose resemblance to Gil Dodds is remarkable Sid runs the mile, wears glasses and hopes to enter his father's profession after majoring in theology at college.

He's been running the mile for two years, and last spring got down to 4:38 finishing eighth in a blanket finish at the Ohio State Championships. Previous in this affair he had blazed home to win the Dayton city-wide meet in 4:40, after fighting off half a dozen other 4:48 milers.

Correll fills his 5 ft., 6 in. frame with 130 pounds, and his head with the books for among other things, he was awarded first prize in the Ohio State Scholarship Spanish tests.

"I never ran more than a mile because Fair view High didn't have a cross country team," declared Sid. But the other day, he galloped around the 3.7 mile Varsity Course and still had something left at the end. All Jaako needs new is a handful of Corrells and Tuttles to make this falls cross country season a winner.