Navy Takes Six of Eight Council Posts; '46 Chooses Hill, Hunneman, Mahindra

Competition Keen in Sophomore Election

Announcing the results of recent undergraduate polling, Student Council officers last night released the names of eight newly-elected additions to the only official student body in the College.

Of the men chosen to assist in the Council's function of representing the student body and administering its financial matters, six are here at present under naval college training.

Elected by their classmates to fill out Senior representation are Louis Graverhet Hill of Newport, Rhode Island and the Naval ROTC, John Richard Hunneman, Jr., of Woburn and the V-12, and Harish Chandra Mahindra of Washington and Adams House, all of '46.

'47 Vote Close

With five spots to fill, competition was especially severe in the '47 contest, and the results remained uncertain until the last accounting. Named by members of their class who have been here for more than one term are Oakes Ames of Cambridge, Jerome Edson Andrews of Andover and the Naval ROTC, William Brochie Foster of Milton and the V-12, Henry Martin Shine, Jr., of Los Angeles and the V-12, and H.E. Thurman of Jacksonville, Florida and the Naval ROTC, all of '47.

Join Old Guard

Nominated on a ballot of 26 names by the present Council and its nominating committee, these men will join former members still in good standing here, the majority of whom were elected on April 4. Both the polling and tabulation of Friday's elections were directed by Paul G. Garrity for '46 and Hugo Francke for '47, and the voting was held in the House dining halls.

Conducting the Council's activities at present are the officers installed when the '45 leaders left in February: Douglas Danner and Walter Amery, both of '46 and the Naval ROTC, remain as president and secretary respectively, while W. L. Jack Edwards '47 of Adams House handles undergraduate funds.