English Committee Aids Harvardmen

Douropulos Gives Courses To Improve Student Writing

Oldest of its kind in the country, the Committee On The Use of Undergraduate English, founded in 1910, attempts to improve the quality of English used by the Harvard student and to aid those requiring special attention.

With Professor Theodore Morrison '23 as chairman, the committee sponsors three Harvard courses, English B, for foreign students, English C for those who want special help in written expression, and English D for those who average D or less in English A.

Douropulos Secretary

According to Arthur Douropulos '31, secretary of the group, who teaches all courses, progress towards better use of English has been too slow and this has been largely the fault of the country's secondary schools. Even at Harvard the Committee finds many Freshmen who are not firmly grounded in spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

But the committee's problem is more complex than merely stressing mechanics. Factors of personality, background, and habits are the keys to each individual problem and must be dealt with. Douropulos works privately with each case, often assigning outside work for practice.

Besides Chairman Morrison and Secretary Douropulos, the committee contains Professor Theodore Spencer '28, Professor Harland P. Billys, and Professor Robert S. Hillyer '17.