INITIAL SCRIMMAGES PREPARE GRIDDERS FOR SEASON OPENER

Coach to Form 'A' Team; Seconds Have Three Games

With three scrimmages behind the squad already, the Crimson Varsity eleven is rounding slowly into shape for its first encounter of the 1944 season against Tufts September 16 at Soldiers Field. Coach Henry Lamar has planned a tough three weeks practice schedule to prepare his aggregation for the opening game.

Coach Lamar has announced that he will soon cut his "A" squad to 33 men, forming the rest into an entirely separate "B" team. The seconds will play three games, like the Varsity, so that everyone coming out for football practice will have a chance to play in actual competition.

Scrimmages Held

Several candidates for the starting lineup performed well enough in recent scrimmages to give them a definite edge over all other competitors for their respective positions. At the backfield posts, Bill Jenkins, Ken Brown, and Carl Lindblad were the stars; while Paul Garrity and Roscoe Hankin, both experienced performers and contenders for the running spot, were prevented by Navy obligations from being at some of the workouts but are still in the thick of the fight for positions in the backfield.

Dana Bresnahan, Don Geeson, and Roddy Perkins, all of whom have played on Crimson elevens before, have taken the lead at the ends. Bud Thurman and Freshmen Chester Pierce and Howard Foster are competing for the tackle slots. At the guards, Ed Davis, Wally Mroz, and Warren Proudfoot are the potential first-stringers. Jim Crane, a center on last year's squad, held down the pivot post in recent scrimmages, but he is closely challenged by Bob Rhodes.

Lamar expects several men who played on the summer baseball team to come out for the gridiron squad.