Chapple Leads Batsmen as Stahlmen Conclude Season

Nine Takes 7 of 10; Wallace, Dunn Stars

Bob Chapple, slugging second baseman and clean-up hitter, and Jack Wallace, stalwart moundsman and potent stick wielder, paced the Crimson nine at the plate during the summer season, figures compiled today revealed.

Chapple socked the sphere for a 432 average, just 124 points above his closest rival among the regulars, Mort Dunn. Playing the full nine innings in every one of the team's ten contests, Chapple was the only member of the starting nine to hit safely in every one of the games. In addition, the keystone-sacker came in second in the total bases column, finishing one behind the 19 of Wallace, who, despite an average of only 270, smashed out two doubles, two triples, and one home run to lead the squad in extra-base blows.

Dunn Above .300

The only other regular to stay in the .300 category was third baseman Morty Dunn, Freshman flash, who hit .308 in garnering 11 total bases. Bob Capaccio, right fielder and another member of the Class of '48, collected 15 total bases, hitting .273.

Fielding sensation of the summer base. The initial sacker handled 104 chances, making but one error, for a .990 fielding average. Capaccio and Art Conlon, the left fielder, both played errorless ball in the outer pastures.

Seven and Three Record

Concluding the season with a record of seven wins and three defeats, the Stahlmen had one of their most successful schedules in recent years. The Crimson nine revenged all of its defeats in return matches later in the summer, except for one loss to a powerful Boston Coast Guard squad.

Jack Wallace pitched every inning but one of the ten games the team played. Were it not for faulty fielding by his nine at the same time.

The final days in the race will find Company B taking on Adams Wednesday, and Lowell on Thursday. The C team also plays on Thursday, as it will try to overcome the NROTC. If the Navy teams lose these key games, they may find themselves looking at a civilian pennant winner