"Dragon Seed"

!!!

"Dragon Seed" ranks as one of the outstanding movies to come out of this war. It is notable for its message of courage and determination, for its characterization of our allies, the Chinese people, and for the intelligence and sensitivity of its plot and dialogue. A new China, a bold, indomitable China, is rising out of the blood and sweat of battle. The new China is intent on wiping ignorance from its shores. "Dragan Seed" portrays the beginnings of the movement in a sympathetic, inspiring way.

Hollywood abandons its "we like everybody" policy in this movie, and the dangers of fascism are stated frankly and tersely. Pearl Buck's novel has been followed closely for the most part. The action 'begins in a peaceful pro-war Chinese valley; then, "the dwarfa" from across the mountains send over their deadly bombs. Shocked into realization of what is happening, the Chinese use all their skill and fortitude to ward off the enemy.

Jade, played by Katherine Hopburn, symbolizes the new era. Miss Hepburn is aincere and convincing and proves, that she can handle a dramatic part with the same effectiveness as a comedy role, while Walior Huston lends strength and dignity to the part of the head of the family. Akim Tamiroff as the Chinese Quisling is perhaps the only one not well cast.

"Mrs. Miniver" taught us about our British allies; "North Star" showed us the life of the Russians; and now "Dragon Seed" gives a highly effective presentation of the heroism of the Chinese people. elh