PEPPER URGES REALISTIC ART

California Philosopher Ends Lectures on Art Criticism

Professor S. C. Pepper '13, now of the University of California, declared yesterday in the last of three lectures on "The Basis of Criticism in the Arts" that realism has a definite place in modern art expression and cannot in fairness be criticized in toto.

Yesterday's lecture was entitled "Contextualistic Criticism," and, said Pepper, "Contextualiatic criticism takes emotionality into account. It looks at the work of art as a total situation absorbed in vivid, fused experience. And realism, therefore, has a very definite place, along with romanticism, as a vivid awareness of the quality of a situation."

Calling himself an "aesthetic liberal," Pepper does not want to be associated specifically with any one of the theories on criticism discussed in his lectures. In the first two of the series, sponsored by the Philosophy Department and held in Emerson A, he discussed empirical and academic criticism.

Influenced by Palmer

In addition to heading the Art Department and serving as professor of Philosophy at the University of California, Pepper is also Assistant Dean of the College of Letters and Sciences there. A member of the Harvard Class of 1913, he earned his doctor's degree here in 1916. He says that Parmer's lectures in the famous Philosophy 4 course here determined his changing from law to philosophy.