47 States and 52 Countries Represented in Enrollments

Only Wyoming Lacks University Members

Forty-seven states and the District of Columbia are represented in the backgrounds of the student body of the University, latest figures reveal. On the basis of records tabulated for all schools except the Law School, every state in the Union except Wyoming has at least one native studying at the University. In addition, 322 foreign students, who have come from 52 foreign countries and three territories, are studying here.

The growing trend toward greater proportional representation for Western students has been reversed, the report showed. New England, which for years has been the home of about one-third of the students, now supplies 47 percent, or 1331 out of a total of 2903 students checked. Maintaining its perennial lead among the individual states, Massachusetts alone is represented by 1125 students, or 37 percent of the entire enrollment.

Most sparsely represented area of the country is the Rocky Mountain region, which, with 18 men, makes up less than half of one percent of the University total. With less than two percent representation, the Pacific coast states of California, Oregon, and Washington have also lost ground.

China Sends 78 Students

Of the foreign countries, China, with 78 students enrolled, has by far the largest total; the Dominion of Canada with 56 is second; tiny Guatemala, with 12, completes the big three of the foreign bloc.

Increased representation of Pan-American nations, which have been sending more and more students each year during the past decade, is also strongly reflected in these figures. Evidencing hemispheric solidarity, 137 Latin-Americans, representing every nation except Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Ecuador, are listed on University files.

From Europe have come 57 students, many of whom have declared intention of making their permanent homes here. This number includes ten from Nazi Germany, two from Falangist Spain, and one from Soviet Russia. The Philippine Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Canal Zone, which are United States territories, have sent four students; the British South American and Caribbean possessions are also the homes of four.