IMPROVEMENTS PROMISED FOR LOWELL'S MENU

Westcott Set to Examine Source of Fare Complaints

Promising an investigation designed to improve the quality of the cooking in the Lowell House dining hall, Roy L. Westcott, manager of dining halls, has taken immediate action on the official protest presented through the Lowell House Food Committee last week.

The protest, issued on the strength of a petition signed by 120 men, paved the way for discussions by the committee with Westcott and Aldrich Durant, business manager of the University, on the questions of price of meals, quality of food purchased, and expertness of preparation.

The committee, in a report released yesterday, found that board rates in the dining halls were commendably low, and had not been increased significantly despite the substantial rises in the costs of food and help.

Best for the Price

The quality of the food has been maintained at a high level nevertheless, Durant and Westcott claimed, although Durant said that a "really bang-up job" could be done for a higher price. The committee, however, sees no need to "sacrifice our present rates, which are equitable for all incomes, in order to cater to luxury tastes."

Westcott said that if a certain food was not eaten by approximately 25 per cent of the House it would be discontinued. The committee suggested this as a standard policy, and considered advocating a lowering in the percentage necessary to kill a dish.