THE PLAYGOER

At the Hasty Pudding Club House

The theatricals revived this year by the Hasty Pudding-Institute of 1770 represent more than good--and terribly traditional--entertainment. They are almost the only tangible contribution that Harvard's social club civilization makes to the College community. They shoulder a heavy responsibility, and they bear it, this year at least, with distinction.

"Proof of the Pudding," the ninety-eighth Pudding production, has plenty of tradition; what's more, it's full of laughs.

First regular Pudding production since 1941, it depends, as have its predecessors, on music and bawdiness. At Sunday night's exclusive alumni opening--no ladies permitted--there was perhaps more bawdiness than last night, but Tony Sharpe's music and Jack Lemmon's versatile clowning were the tastiest ingredients in the pudding.

The Rodgers-Hammerstein style songs composed by Sharpe and lyricized by William Scudder are seldom clever, but they're usually spirited and often quite tuneful. Members of the cast deserving distinctly honorable mention are Allan Butler, James Young, Allan Dingwall, Robert Gardner, Scudder, Richard Humphrey, David Mackintosh, George Tilghman, Robert Young, and--but hell, this isn't the social register.

It's almost impossible to tell whether songs are catchy or not when heard for the first time; but the fact that several melodies are still fresh in this reviewer's head the morning-after is an optomistic indication.

More than any other group at Harvard, the Pudding boys are showmen. "Proof of the Pudding" is done with informal verve, but with professional style.