PERKINS DESCRIBES PROGRAMS FOR VOLUNTARY ENLISTMENTS

Navy Trains Air Crewmen; Air Corps May Reopen Soon

Opportunities for enlistment in special programs of the Navy are few and in the Army are almost non-existent, Elliott Perkins '23, master of Lowell House and director of the War Service Information Bureau declared yesterday. "No service gives you much choice now," he asserted, pointing to the growing tendency to place men where they are most needed rather than cater to individual preferences.

Sole offerings of the Navy are its air crewman and radio technician programs, both of which bear promise of promotion to petty officer rankings. With physical requirements almost up to Air Corps standards, the former plan is designed to train gunners, mechanics, and radiomen, although candidates with markedly superior ability may be given pilot training and eventually commissions.

Test Mental Aptitude

In addition to its rigorous physical examination, the program requires a mental apitude test much like that given to would-be pilots; its object is more to measure general intelligence than specific information. The details of enlistment as an air crewman are handled in Boston by Lt. Sussenguth at 150 Causeway Street.

The Navy's plan for radio training, familiar to all as the Eddy program, is by far the most widely publicized of the Services' projects. Nine months instruction in radio and a final rating of second class petty officer are offered to applicants who pass an unexacting physical and the who pass an unexacting physical and the more difficult Eddy test. In regard to the latter, Perkins stated that "any Harvard man who does satisfactory work here in mathematics or physics should expect to pass. He may, however, need to brush up on the details of radio shopwork."

Deferments for College Students

Latest development in the Eddy program is the deferment of college men enrolled in the plan until the end of the term in which they reach their eighteenth birthday. Those with a strong preference for the Navy now no longer need enter service while still 17 and thereby perhaps lose credit for an additional term at the College.

Recent figures, however, indicate this the radio training program is no easy road to a petty officer grade. Well over one fourth of those who are accept eventually flunk out, while in spite of promises less than half the rest receive a rating higher than seaman, first class. The recruiting center in the Boston are for candidates for radio training is in the Federal Building at Post Office Square room 916.

Marine Corps Welcomes Enlistments

For 17 year olds, there is still opportunity to enlist as an apprentice season or as a Marine Corps private. The leather necks have the toughest physics requirements of the Service as well a the toughest conditions of service. "But added Perkins, "I never saw a Marine who was not glad to be a Marine."

The Army's only offering to men under draft age is its Enlisted Reserve Corps. The program merely grants deforms to college men until the end of the term during which they register for the draft. At that term's close, corpsmen receive orders to report to a replacement center in their home service command. Application forms and physical examinations are to be had at 808 Commonwealth Avenue. Enlistment here carries no implication of special training.

Although none of the Services at Present accept Air Corps enlistment's, it is