Strong Pitching Staff Seen As Crimson Starts Training

Infield, Hitting May Dim Varsity Hopes

With more than a dozen battery men already working out in Briggs Cage, the outlook for the spring baseball season appears comparatively favorable as schedule arrangements near completion. Outfielders will start shagging files as soon as weather permits.

Commenting on possibilities in general, Coach Floyd Stahl observed yesterday that, "Except for Wallace, it looks as if the squad will be made up almost entirely of new men. We'll probably be quite green but that situation is likely to exist at most of the other schools that we'll go up against."

Promising Mound Staff

Judging from opening day turnouts, Stahl will have a pitching staff of considerable depth, centering around right-hander Jack Wallace, who fastballed his way to seven wins in ten starts for the Crimson last summer while clubbing out two doubles, a pair of triples and a homer for good measure.

In addition, the Crimson will have southpaw Johnny Knowles, up from the B-team, Ronnie Wright, of intramural softball fame, and a couple of newcomers, Bill O'Neil and Bill Johnson. "If one or more of these boys comes through," says Stahl, "Wallace shouldn't have to carry as heavy a pitching burden as he did last summer."

In the back-stopping department, conditions are not so favorable, since Mel Lackey, who caught for the Crimson last summer, is the only experienced man returning. Bob Carlton, Don Lindewirth, and Dick Humphrey have looked good in opening sessions, though, and may remedy this lack of veteran material.