Close Fight Looms For Starting Nine

Coppinger, Allen, Conlon Tentatively Clinch Positions

Coach Floyd Stahl, aided by Chief "Crash" Davis, is still engaged in weeding the first-string material from the 40-odd men who have come out for the baseball Varsity. With only three positions on the home team even tentatively decided, the race for a Varsity post continues unabated.

Although John Coppinger, Mel Allen, and Art Conlon seem to have assured themselves berths at the hot corner and in left and center field, most slots have at least two candidates running neck and neck. Jim Fava and Ken Crumrine at first base, Jack Forte and Jack Kelly at second, Gerry Johnson and Al Closky at short, and a trio of backstops, Mel Lackey, Don Lindeworth, and Dick Humphrey, all appear about even.

Red Liller currently holds a narrow edge over Tom Collins, Bill Jackson, and Bob Carleton in a fight for the remaining outfield slot. The squad has been hit, however, by the loss of promising pitcher-outfielder Bill O'Neill, who is out with a bad ankle.

With his starting lineup still undecided, Coach Stahl plans to meet two different teams from the Supply School today and Tuesday. Both these teams can field experienced players, and should give the untried Varsity a stiff fight.