Bronze Star Goes To Lt. Seaman for Service in France

NTS Officer Receives Medal For Work in Allied Invasion

Lieutenant William R. Seaman, USNR, Head of the Military Department NTS (Communications), received the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service yesterday in ceremonies immediately following morning Colors. Commander M. E. Paradise, USNR, Officer in Charge NTS (Communications), read the citation and made the presentation before a formation of the whole school in the old Yard.

Coming from the Commander United States Eighth Fleet, the award cited Lt. Seaman "For distinguishing himself by meritorious service as Commander of a company of the First Beach Battalion during the amphibious invasion of Southern France on 15 August 1944."

". . . outstanding devotion to duty . . ."

The citation continued: "During initial assault phases Lt. Seaman efficiently co-ordinated action of his command with those of Naval Combat Demolition Units, Pontoon Causeway Units, and the off-shore traffic control unit to provide for the prompt clearing, organization and efficient operation of his beach areas . . . (Lt. Seaman) contributed materially to the success of the invasion and to proper maintenance of the Allied Armies in Southern France.

"The exceptional skill, resourcefulness and outstanding devotion to duty displayed by Lt. Seaman reflected credit upon himself and the Naval Service."

Lt. Seaman attended the Law School at Harvard from 1930 to 1933, obtaining his LL.B. in the latter year. He joined the staff at the Communications School last December, returning directly from sea duty.