University Plans Destruction of Shepherd Hall by First of April

Postwar Group, HLU, And Network Ousted

Desolation and utter confusion were the reactions yesterday to Dean Hanford's announcement that the University intends to rip down old, oft-condemned Shepherd Hall, which has housed the Harvard Crimson Network, the Harvard Liberal Union, the Harvard-Radcliffe Post-War Council, the Freshman Red Books, and the Senior Albums.

The prevailing sentiment last night war voiced by Daniel P. S. Paul '46, chairman of the Class of 1946 Senior Album, when he said, "Our fate is in the hands of Dean Hanford." With the exception of the Red Book, none of the organizations involved had made any arrangements besides securing appointments with the Dean.

An Eyesore for 65 Years

Shepherd Hall, which stands, until April first, at 29, 31, and 33 Holyoke Street, has been one of the University's most secluded eyesores for some 65 years. A nest of old furniture, leaky radiators, creaking stairways, and falling plaster, it has been called home, for want of a better place, by Harvard liberal organizations, student publications, and the Network since time immemorial.

The building was erected privately in 1880 to serve as a dormitory for students at the College and was named after the real-estate agent. It was bought by the University in 1918, and has been used severely by generations of undergraduates since. By a singular bit of management, the name of the Hall and the block numbers were finally painted on the doors last month.

Few regrets about the passing of the building were expressed, although Gerald L. K. Maslon '45, chairman of the almost published '45 Senior Album, mourned the destruction of the Holabird murals which adorn the Album offices.

Arthur C. McGill '48, Editor of the '48 Freshman Red Book, has seen Dean Hanford about temporary quarters from April 1 until publication of the yearbook, and emerged with tentative arrangements for a room in the old Freshman Union.