DATES SET FOR U.S.M.S. EXAMS

Maritime Service Announces Tests Coming in May, July

Examinations for appointments as Cadet Midshipmen in the United States Merchant Marine Cadet Corps and its academy at Kings Point, Long Island, will be held on the last Saturdays of May, September, and November, and on the last Wednesday of July, the War Shipping Administration has announced.

Conducted by the U. S. Civil Service Commission, the examinations are competitive and are based upon high school work in the languages, sciences, and history. State quotas based on population will be observed in selecting candidates for appointment in the order of highest grades received in the entrance tests.

Candidates for the positions must be within 16 years, 6 months, and 25 years of age, and may apply for Deck or Engineer positions. The number of Engineer appointments will be approximately 50 per cent greater than the number of those accepted for Deck. The physical qualifications are identical for Deck and Engineer candidates and are based upon the requirements of the Navy Department for appointment as Midshipman in the U. S. Naval Reserve.