STARTING CREW, VARSITY NINE PREPARE FOR SPRING OPENERS

Crew Enjoys Good Weather As April 28 Regatta Nears

In preparation for their opening regatta on April 28 with M.I.T. and Navy on the Charles, Coach Bert Haines's crewmen have been taking full advantage of sunny spring weather to round into top shape.

Reports from down river indicate that the Engineers have also been making good use of this period to tune up for the meet. According to reports, there are at present three M.I.T. crews on the river, one lightweight boat and two heavies, all pointing to the coming regatta.

Powerful Navy Unit Foreseen

Navy has been able to practice all winter on the ice-free Severn and promises to produce a crack outfit. However, military secrets are well kept, even when they pertain to athletic teams, and no times or crew compositions have as yet been announced.

Temporarily seated in the Varsity shell are: stroke, Toby Ross; seven, Hal Grant; six, Miles Wambaugh; five, Rod Perkins; four, Bob Macnamara; three, Tom Haymond; two, John Kettelle; and bow, Pete Roll. Coxing the boat is veteran Dan Paul.

In addition to the April 28 encounter with Tech and Navy, the Crimson shells will take part in another triangular regatta one week later, also on the Charles, when they will come up against Cornell and M.I.T.