Quonset Defeats Stahlmen In Initial Shutout of Season

Wednesday Contest Ends in 3-0 Beating

Two runs pushed across for Quonset in the second inning of Wednesday's baseball game were enough to put the visitors out in front while Sacramentoowned pitcher Earl Anderson throttled Coach Floyd Stabl's Varsity nine, shutting them out, 3 to 0.

Both the fatal runs came after two were out in the first half of the second when three successive singles provided the winning margin. The only other scoring came in the eighth on a combination of a walk, an error, a ground-out and double play.

Although the two rival moundsmen allowed the same number of hits, six each, a strong infield and Anderson's ability to hear down in a tight spot enabled the Quonset Carrier Aircraft Service Unit to squeeze out of the jams that occurred spasmodically from the first inning on.

With a season's standing at only one victory against two losses, Coach Stahl will try to even up the count tomorrow when the Harvard nine plays its third home game in a row. Invading will be another naval squad, this one from the Motor Torpedo Boat Service Training Center.

The Summary:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Forte, 2b  4  0  2  2  0 Conlon, cf  3  0  1  4  0  0 Coppinger, 3b  2  0  0  2  3  0 Allen, lf  3  0  0  1  0  0 Wallace, p  3  0  0  0  3  0 Closky, ss  3  0  2  2  1  2 Fava, 1b  3  0  0  8  0  1 Carlton, rf  3  0  1  0  0  0 Lackey, e  2  0  0  5  0  1 *Lindeworth  1  0  0  0  0  0   27  0  6  24  9  4

*Batted for Fava in the ninth. Innings:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Quonset  0  2  0  0  0  0  0  1  x--3