SUMNER WELLES CAUTIONS PBK THAT 'PEACE' IS POSITIVE IDEA

Phi Beta Kappa Names Four In Commencement Meeting

Four newly-elected seniors, Henry A. Frey '44, Rolf W. Landauer '47, Daniel A. S. Paul '46 and Guillermo C. Sanchez '46, were present at Phi Beta Kappa's annual public meeting held a Fogg Museum yesterday morning. Poet at the literary exercises was Wallace Steven '01, who read his "Description Without Place." Summer Welles '14, for Under-Secretary of State, gave the oration. Following are excerpts from Welles' address to the honor society:

The subject of my address to you this morning is "The Vision of a World at Peace."

Those words represent the craving of Hundreds of Millions of People in every quarter of the globe. They constitute the ideal towards which the Democracies have been groping for many generations. That is the goal towards which the men and women and the governments of the United Nations are striving today.

Methods by which this highest of all ends can best be achieved have been advanced by some of the most enlightened leaders of thought throughout the censures. But we may well fear that vast numbers of people still think of the word "peace" as in plying a condition which is essentially static. They still think of peace as being negative rather than as a concept which can truly be only positive.

Until public opinion, and particularly that in the more advanced of the democracies, fully recognizes the stark truth that peace can never be static; that it will never exist except as the result of the continuous effort and the unfaltering will of a majority of the peoples of the world; that its attainment can only come about as the consequence of Infinitely greater human effort than that which will be required to win the greatest of all wars, the search for peace will not be crowned with success.

There could be no greater danger to day than the belief of the people of the United States that our military victories, and the creation of an International Organization, will automatically bring with them the establishment of peace on earth and that thereafter, as individuals, they need do nothing further to make this vision come true.

As we look at the world in which we live, could there be anything more unrealistic than that type of thinking?

(The complete text of Welles' address will be published in the Virginia Quarterly; Steven' poem will appear in the Sewance Review.)

Phi Beta Kappa elected six honorary members of the Harvard Chapter at, its meeting: Robert F. Brad ford, Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts: John H. Bradley, of Lowell, a geologist, author, and former Associate professor of Geology at the University of Southern California; Starting Dow, associate professor of History at Harvard; Edward V. Huntington, professor of Mathematics, emeritus, at Harvard; Nathan M. Pusey, President of Lawrence College, Appleton, Wisconsin; and Wallace Steven, of Hartford, a lawyer and poet