Constitution Proposed By Revisionists Group Would Bar Freshmen

After long discussion last night the Joint Committee for Constitutional Revision of the Student Council, decided that "Freshmen shall not be eligible for membership on the Student Council." The resolution will be the basis for one of the articles of the provisional constitution on which the committee is working.

Two reasons were given by the committee for this decision. The first was the impracticability of holding elections among Freshmen unfamiliar with each other and therefor lacking a basis on which to select representatives.

On the other point, it was emphasized that most of the work of the Council requires a thorough knowledge of the College and its education problems and that Freshmen, by circumstances, were not capable of assisting the Council in these problems. Agreement was reached however, on the proposal to give Sophomores more representation, on the assumption that at the end of one year students could contribute to Council work.

Added to the original resolution was the statement that the Revision Committee should make provision for a stronger and better coordinated Freshman Committee which would work in close liaison with the Council.

Discussion centered around the whole problem of elective versus appointive offices and the manner of election. Distinct differences of opinion arose on these questions, one group holding that the function of the Council should be that of democratic political body while the other group felt that the expert advisory character of the Council should be maintained through appointments.