The Day the Goalposts Fell, Or---The Crimson in Triumph Flashing

A stalwart gang of some 60 Harvards added insult to injury after the Princeton squeaker last Saturday, when they outfought about 300 Nassau followers in a battle for the goalposts. The Princeton Freshmen had been instructed the preceding night to defend the sacred posts with their very lives in the event of a Crimson victory, but the brothers, were unable to withstand a determined Harvard line.

* * * * *

The score of the football game may have been 13 to 12, but the Harvard band won an easy victory over the Tiger tooters. The orthographical offering was "Hello Tiger," in big block letters, and the Crimson's musical offerings were far superior, in execution as well as just plain volume, to the Orange and Black efforts. The Princeton had slightly more dapper uniforms, though.

* * * * *

How little the average football fan knows about the intricacies of the sport was never more aptly demonstrated than in the final seconds of the game, when Vince Moravec intercepted a Princeton pass in the Harvard end zone. The Crimson stands were hushed in sorrow, thinking the Tigers had scored a safety, and even some of the players were mystified when referee Albie Booth ruled it a touchback and awarded the Varsity a first down on its 20-yard line.

* * * * *

Among the former pupils of the Harlow system who visited the Varsity locker room to congratulate the winning eleven were former ends Bill Barnes and Loren Mackinney, and Gordy Lyle, who brought grief to the Princeton cause in 1942 when he snatched a pass from Jack Comerford with less than a minute to play and scored a touchdown which gave Harvard a 19 to 14 victory.

* * * * *

Cleo O'Donnell and Ned Dewey sweated out the game in tweeds. Both have been sidelined by injuries, although Dewey may be ready for action against the Coast Guard on Saturday.

* * * * *

Princeton's press box put Soldiers Field to shame. At Palmer Stadium the reporters were offered everything from coke to sandwiches to gridiron diagrams--all gratis. It may be just a subtle form or poisoning the press, but the H.A.A, might take note. Tiger Tale Told   Harvard  Princeton First downs  11  10 Gains by rushing  260  31 Passes attempted  9  19 Passes Completed  3  8 Gains by passes  34  196 Interceptions  2  1 Number punts  8  10 Distance punts  39  41.5 Runback of punts  34  16 Fumbles  5  5 Fumbles recovered  4  4 Penalties  8  7 Yards penalized  60  50