Backs Show New Snap, Deception In signal Drills

Varsity Tests Defense Against C.G. Plays; Dewey Returns

First evidence of the rapid Varsity improvement predicted by Dick Harlow after the Princeton game was shown yesterday as the "A" team backs ran through spinners and reverses with a snap and precision that was wonderful to behold, and a deception that baffled even the most astute observers on the sidelines.

Following this signal drill and further work on pass defense and offense, Coach Henry Lamar brought his Freshman forces on the scene to run through Coast Guard plays, with the Varsity defending. Judging from this workout, the crowd at Soldiers Field Saturday will be treated to a maximum of Coastie passing plays featuring single and double flankers from the "T" formation.

Jayvees Scrimmage "B" Team

In a late afternoon scrimmage between the "B" team and the Jayvees, several reverse plays, including the end-around that became famous last Saturday, went for sizable gains. Jim Feinberg distinguished himself in the line, while Jim Noonan earned praise for his fancy running.

Back at tackle with the "A" team yesterday was Ned Dewey, who has been sidelined since the Connecticut game with a leg injury, after playing almost 60 minutes against the Huskies.