United Nations Council Formed to Conduct Peace Education Program

New Group Cool Toward Stand Of World Government Units, Announces Monday Meeting

The first meeting of the United Nations Council of Harvard, an organization formed to carry out an "education for peace" program locally and in Boston, is slated for 8 o'clock next Monday evening in the Peabody Room of Phillips Brooks House.

Stephen M. Schwebel '50, of Wigglesworth Hall, temporary chairman of the Council, said last night the group operates under the belief that "peace, like war, can only be won through the efforts of millions." He said the group plans to sponsor lectures to the student body by prominent international figures, a series of lecture-forums in collaboration with University professors, radio programs on Boston stations, and the sending of speakers to Boston gatherings.

The Council, one of eighty such groups in American colleges aided by the American Association for the United Nations is backed by Professors William Y. Elliott, A. W. Holcombe, and Samuel Beer, and Payson S. Wild, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. its financial structure is built on donations from outside sources, but the group, according to its chairman, will remain an indigenous University organization.

Men interested in joining should attend the Monday meeting or see Allan P. Sindjer '48 of Lowell House, Gordon A. Neal '50 of Wigglesworth Hall, Richard Elliott '46, Ed Woolrich of the Graduate School of Business Administration, or Schwebel.

James T. Shotwell and Clark Eichelberger are directors of the American Association for the United Nations.

A suggestion from Professor Elliott that the Council establish a political laboratory, a miniature United Nations Council with emphasis on participation by foreign students, is being considered, according to Schwebel, who was formerly national president of United Nations Youth, the high school student division of the A.A.U.N.

Members of the Council will distribute stocks of literature designed to inform readers of the need for and methods of international cooperation.