Conccrio for Faculty and Orchestra

The Boston Symphony Orchestra, which for years has been satisfying the cravings of concert going Cantabrigians at Sanders Theatre, will be playing its forthcoming Harvard performance under a "restricted clientele" shingle. Despite an almost doubled University population, and regardless of the consequently increased interest in music, the rules for seating the Memorial Hall audience have remained the same, effectively barring all but a fortunate few students from appreciating Koussevitzky and orchestra.

Coupled with the customary reservation of the three choicest sections of the theatre for regular Symphony Hall subscribers, the established practice of giving members of the faculty first claim on the six hundred tickets allotted to the University, leaves students a scant eighty-two "rush" seats for each of the year's six concerts.

If the performances are for the benefit of the University, there is obviously an inequitable distribution of seats. If they are for the entertainment of the community, a public sale would assure skeptical Harvardmen that they are of no lower artistic perceptibility than the large-limousine set. Controlling the assignment of the bulk of the tickets, the University could; without offending its faculty and friends, include a greater percentage of students among the select Sanders spectators.