Jayvee Eleven Lacks Luster In 16-0 Wentworth Victory

Junior Varsity Power Absent As Farrell and Wilson Score In Third Straight Triumph

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Coach Chief Boston's Junior Varsity eleven gained its third successive win of the season at Soldiers Field yesterday, rolling over a puny, game Wentworth Institute eleven, 16 to 0, but showed little of its previous finesse and drive in the accomplishment.

In may have been the sloppy conditions underfoot in a generally miserable afternoon, but the Crimson Jayvees, fresh from a triumph over Princeton's Junior Varsity last Saturday, were far from their best in subduing a Boston eleven whose average weight could not have exceeded 160 pounds.

It all started off like another deluge of Harvard touchdowns early in the first period, when the Jayvees marched 40 yards to their first score. Captain Dave Farrell's pass to Tom Wilson moved the Crimson to the Wentworth 15-yard line, and two plays later Wilson bucked over from the two. Bucky Harrison's place-kick was good.

But the rest of the first half saw Boston's eleven fought on almost even terms by the undersized Wentworth club, sparked by two light, swift backs and a seemingly unstoppable dive-duck pass. Stalled once on the visitors' 10-yard line, the Crimson was on defense for most of the second period.

Harvard's score early in the second half came as the result of a Wentworth kick which slithered off the foot of its punter, with the Crimson's Ken Smith recovering on the Institute 8. A Harrison to Farrell reverse produced the touchdown and Harrison again converted.

This was the last major Jayvee offensive effort of the afternoon, as Wentworth twice marched into Harvard territory only to lose the ball on interceptions. A good coffin corner kick by Giby Warren late in the final period set up the safety, the Jayvees' fourth in three games. There was a bad pass from center to the Wentworth punter in the end zone, and center Bob Grady dropped the kicker for the final two-pointer.