Council considers Parking Parietal Rules, Book Prices

Solution of Auto Parking Seen In University's Request for Advice at Meeting Last Night

Recommendations and plans of action for undergraduate problems were made by the Student Council at its regular meeting last night covering topics which ranged from the problem of library crowding during the Hour exam period to suitable parking space for automobiles.

1) The Council agreed to submit to Edward Reynolds '15, administrative president of the University, its opinions that students would probably use parking space near Soldiers Field if it were provided and fenced off as suggested.

2) Members of the Class of '48, whose Freshman year lacked the special occasions of other years, were promised backing for a '48 Smoker if they submit an acceptable budget.

3) Early investigation of the H.A.A.'s handling of Stadium ticket applications and priorities will be due as a result of complaints received by the Council.

4) Hoping to substitute Harvard football songs for the hit parade on game evenings, and to increase the volume and coordination of the cheering sections, the Council appropriated money for cheer and song sheets which it expects to have for distribution before the Holy Cross game.

5) Harold C. Fleming '44, looking into the parietal system, found variations from House to House as well as inconsistencies in the Yard set-up which he will include in a report next week.

6) Adequacy of student finances in general and of wage rates under Student Employment will be the topic for an open meeting to be held in the near future under the direction of George I. Bell '48.

7) Although no solution of library crowding in the Hour exam weeks ahead was promised, the Librarian of Harvard College assured the Council that 300 extra chairs were being placed in the Union reading rooms.

Having found "a few cases of abuse" in the "questionably high prices charged for new and used books" in the Square, the Council reported that "the worst problem lies in second-hand and out-of-print books since these have neither ceilings nor list problems."

A statement to all students warned them "to watch carefully the prices they pay, particularly ... under the G.I. Bill ... If they overdraw their allotments, they way have to sacrifice eligibility time.

"All men, veterans or non-veterans should bring complaints and questions to the Book Order Department of the Veterans Office, Weld Hall 9."