Council Probers See H.A.A. Ticket System AS "Failing in Details"

Preliminary Report Asks for More Student Complaints

After a single day of investigation and complaint taking, Council President Levin H. Campbell, 3rd '48 released a statement on the results of preliminary investigations of the H.A.A.'s method of ticket allotment last night calling the H.A.A. plan "fair in broad design" but 'falling down in a number of details."

The majority of the complaints received to date by the Council have been in regard to pairs of tickets applied for by men who held a single seat in the cheering section and who have ended up in the end zone, the statement said, and attributed this difficulty to the fact that sections 33, 34, and 35, and often part of 36 are reserved for the cheering section, which by custom, excludes women.

Harry Lee, Jr. '48, who is handling the investigation for the Council, reported to Campbell, however, that a conversion with William J. Bingham '16 has elicited the fact that the rule was being applied in the belief that students wanted women kept out of these section. Bingham told the Council that he is open to suggestions on changing this rule.

One frequent cause for complaint cited in the Council document is the H.A.A. policy of re-selling turned-in tickets on a first-come, first-servd basis at their ticket office. The statement alleged that this practice often permits non-Harvard spectators to appear in excellent seats on the Harvard side, and asked that some new plan "whereby Harvard undergraduates could got first shot at turned-in seats" be adopted to improve the situation.