Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

School of Public Health Fills Two Vacant Positions

Rockefeller Investigators Join Staff; Hygiene Studies Open For Master's and Doctorate

Two medical researchers have been added to the School of Public Health, both with experience in the Rockefeller Foundation and, in line with its new policy of expansion, two new degrees have been instituted, Dean James S. Simmons, Brigadier General, announced yesterday.

Joining the staff are Dr. Hugh R. Leavell, formerly assistant director of the division of Medical Sciences of the Foundation, and Dr. John C. Snyder, a typhus fever expert. A master's and a doctor's degree in Hygiene now augment the courses of study open to research men in the School, declared Simmons.

Leavell, who fills the chair of Public Health practice which the death of Dr. Edward G. Huber last July left vacant, held, just prior to his Rockefeller post, a deputy directorship of health in the European office of UNRRA. Snyder, to occupy a chair of Public Health Bacteriology, is noted in medical circles for his typhus-fever bug field investigations, which have carried him into remote corners of Mexico and Spain. Most recently he served the United States Army Typhus Commission on special assignments in the Middle East and Italy.

As chief health officer for the city of Louisville, Kentucky, Dr. Leavell's double barreled campaign on the academic plane throughout the backwoods country departments built up an outstanding center for the teaching of preventive medicine.