College Holds to Policy on Credit Gained in Service

Hanford Says No Option Will Be Allowed Students Unless Hardship Results from Rule

The year-and-a-half old University policy of requiring veterans to accept war credits toward their degree will, generally speaking, be continued, Dean Hanford said yesterday, defending this decision in the face of recent criticsms alleging that under this system men were being forced out of College prematurely.

Dean Hanford stated that the policy had been set at the beginning of the spring term in 1945 as a measure aimed at getting more people through the College, and that while exceptions have been made and will continue to be made on an individual basis, the basic rule will still be enforced.

However, three moves are currently being made to eliminate specific and individual injustices, according to Dean Hanford.

First, students who feel that credits earned while in the Army--either in ASTP or in other advanced work--cannot be added to course credits earned here without severe dislocation of their academic program may petition the Administrative Board to have these extra credits dropped. These petitions are initiated by the individual and endorsed either by the department or by the tutor.

Extensions for Theses

Second, extensions on the time allowed for honors theses have in several cases been recommended by the departments and approved by the Administrative Board. Applications for such an extension, Dean Hanford emphasized, are not automatically approved, since the possibility exists that some students would get a competitive advantage from working while carrying no other courses.

Thirdly, a sub-committee of the Assistant Deans group is studying the possible effects of further liberalization of the war credits requirement, with a view toward granting that war credits be dropped where the student agrees to complete the extra work.