Varsity Tunes Up Against Jumbos' Grid Strategy as Subs Scrimmage

By Irvin M. Horowitz

More contact work was the order of the day for the Varsity eleven yesterday, and Coach Dick Harlow sent his "B" team through a long scrimmage against a combination of the "C" and "D" squads. The first team, most of whose members participated in yesterday's workout against the Freshman eleven, spent the session in practicing defenses against Tufts plays and in running through signals.

In the scrimmage session, tailback Jim Noonan, a shifty runner in the open field, bad a good day, and wingback Pete Harwood, a left-handed passer who may make his 1946 Stadium debut in Saturday, drew praise for his efforts. Jack Fisher, who is expected to alternate with Charley Glynn again at center, was blocking well.

Rodis Leaves Squad

With only two days of practice now remaining for the Tufts engagement, Harlow will probably hold no more scrimmages this week. A long signal and conditioning drill is probably on the program for today, and Friday will be spend, as usual, in posing for the press and practicing kick-offs and signals.

Harlow lost a guard from his roster yesterday when Nick Rodis, who started against Connecticut, announced that he was leaving the squad. Bob Dronnon, who ran with the "A" eleven yesterday, will probably start in his place.

Pierce Returns

Two injured tackles, Ned Dewey and Chet Pierce, were on the field, Dewey for the first time since the Connecticut battle. Pierce, who has been restricted to very light workouts since he was injured in the first week of practice, is now ready for full duty, and will be available for the Tufts game. Dewey is not expected to be ready for action for at least another week.

The status of Emil Drvaric remains uncertain, although it seems likely that he will be in the lineup on Saturday. His leg injury is not yet fully healed, and he may see only limited duty against the Jumbos.

As they lined up yesterday, the "A" eleven was as follows:

"A" team: le, Flynn; lt, Allen; lg, Drennon; c, Glynn; rg, Gudaitis; rt, Davis; re, Florentino; qb, Miklos; rhb, Gannon; lhb, O'Donnell' fb, Moravec.