The "Publisher" Cornered

[The "publisher" of this issue would have it be known that the quotations marks belong exactly where we have placed them. In the concoction of this word-cacaphony he has enjoyed neither privilege of initiative nor power of veto. His role is so different from that of publishers in real life that, whatever the shortcomings of today's Crimson, we tend to support his claim that he cannot be held responsible for them. In his capacity as Curator of the Nieman Foundation (Keeper of the Nieman Fellows), however, he has consented to do an introduction on them.]

Readers of this Hallowe'en edition will be relieved to learn that Harvard is relatively free of responsibility for the ringers who are conducting the Crimson on its witch's ride.

Such journalistic qualifications as can be detected were acquired in many and strange places. None of them has written a line of copy in six weeks. Part of the Nieman scheme is that they escape from writing during their year in Cambridge. This is supposed to leave them free to do something useful for the benefit of their future value in journalism.

Only one of them ever raised a Harvard accent and his has been diluted by 13 years in Florida. The trace that remains must be sought in the editorials by Francis P. Locke, of the Miami News.

The alibi for Dick Lauterbach is that he's a Dartmouth man, '35, but he's been around since, mostly for Life and Time and largely in China and Russia ("These are the Russians".) He's one of five war correspondents in this year's batch of Nieman fellows, now being reconverted to more permanent status, most of them for further foreign service.

Fletcher Martin is city editor of the Louisville Defender when he's home but he also roamed widely as a war correspondent. He played end at Louisville Municipal College but he got in the middle of this jam, as editor.

The associate editors are Paul Evans, executive editor of the Mitchell Daily Republic in South Dakota where he covers a lot of territory; and Ernest Linford who was raised on a Wyoming ranch and is editor of the Laramie Republican Boomerang. Bill Nye founded this paper and named it for his pet mule. Linford left the mule home but brought his hat.

Makeup of this issue is the job of Jay Odell who prepped for the job as swing man on the desk of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Political analyst of the Crimson today is Gilbert W. Stewart who comes from North Dakota via the Washington bureau of Newsweek where he was, strangely enough, a political analyst.

The science editor is Frank Carey who escaped from Boston newspapering in 1943 to be science writer for the Associated Press out of Washington. He's almost a native, came from Lowell.

The Kentucky thorobred editor is Henry Hornsby, state political editor of the Lexington, Ky., Leader.

The veterans' editor is Jack Foisie of the San Francisco Chronicle. He earned the job as correspondent of the Mediterranean editions of Stars and Stripes.

Labor editor for this issue is Stephen Fischer who covers labor when he's home for the San Francisco Chronicle.

Sports editor Clark Porteous, from the staff of the Memphis Press Scimitar, holds track records at Southwestern University (class of '34) in the 2 mile (9.28) mile (4.18) half mile (1.55 and quarter (50 sec.) He specializes now in long distance commuting from Hingham; which is South, son.

Bob Miller, political reporter for this issue, had his preliminary experience in University of Nevada '38, with the United Press and the First Marines on Guadalcanal and with Georgie Patton in Germany.

Bill McDougall, the expose reporter, is resting up from the war which he spent for three years in a Jap prison in Java resting up from a previous career covering airplane crashes out of Salt Lake City.

After today these gentlemen return to retirement on Nieman Fellowships until June when they have to go back to work. Until then they enjoy the freedom of the university and press box passes at the Stadium.