Tobin Berates Western Cattlemen, Stands by Federal Seizure Demand

Governor Tells Cambridge AVC "Meat Draft" May Be Necessary; Advises Political Aspirants to Enter Government on Local Level, Open-Mindedly Judging Problems of Majority

Fiercely lashing out at "sit-down strikers" of 1946 who are withholding vital necessities from the public in the hope of inflationary price rises, Maurice J. Tobin, Governor of the Commonwealth, last night urged the Government "to seize a portion of the cattle now grazing on the ranges of the West. We drafted men to fight the war--there's nothing wrong, or as it has been charged 'Communistic," in our drafting meat to feed the American people.." He spoke at a Democratic panel sponsored in Rindge Hall by the Cambridge Chapter of the American Veterans Committee.

Governor Tobin told the CRIMSON that young men interested in entering politics should "return home immediately following the conclusion of college and take an active interest in the issues of their own towns. "They should join organizations similar to the AVC in which there is an opportunity for frank inspection of current affairs; read newspapers and periodicals carefully to keep abreast of day-to-day developments; and thought-fully follow the writings of objective experts--for examples, Walter Lippmann in the international field. I am especially impressed with the value of political training in institutions like Harvard's Littauer School, for it is too often that America does not gain the services in public office of those with the mental qualifications of make a real contribution.

Accompanied by senior Massachusetts senator David I. Walsh, currently running for re-election against Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. '24, Governor Tobin shared the platform with eight local Democratic candidates including Morris Allen, who is opposing Republican Edith Nourse Rogers. Evading a question concerning the right of Communists to hold labor union office, he would only state that, "A Communist cannot be a good American."

Co-chairman of the rally were Albert S. Bigelow, Massachusetts AVC Chairman, and Charles Cobb, recent Law School graduate, who heads the Cambridge chapter.