Quota of Blood Short As Drive Ends Today

Though Brooks House was turned virtually into a hospital yesterday with doctors and nurses of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health filling its office and parlor, the PBH-sponsored blood drive still fell short of its quota.

75 pints of blood were donated yesterday, including 7 pints from Radcliffe, also participating to help meet the 100-pint quota of the Harvard Blood Committee. Response of donors today, last day of the drive, will determine whether the quota can be met by men making appointments this morning or filling appointments missed yesterday.

Amazingly painless" and "I had too much anyway" were comments of blood-givers after their donations yesterday. "Greatest shock of my life," cooed a prissy 'Cliffedweller, "it wasn't blue."

Department of Public Health units, such as the one operating at Brooks House, use the blood for direct transfusions, plasma, and fractionization. Under the latter process, recently developed at the Harvard Medical School, blood is broken down into albumin, fibrinogen, thrombin, bloud grouping globulin, and antihemophilic globulin.

Several donations were refused yesterday by the doctor in charge, because donors had not allowed the required three to four hours after eating when they came to their appointments.