Punting Protection Stressed In Crimson Practice Finale

Few Lineup Changes Predicted For Brown Game Tomorrow; Ed Davis Doubtful Starter

By Irvin M. Horowitz

A routine, scrimmageless practice session, with emphasis placed on punt protection, closed down the Crimson's full scale preparations yesterday for the Brown game.

Only the usual brief Friday afternoon workout in the stadium now lies between the Varsity ad its engagement with the Bruins, who arrive from Providence tomorrow morning.

Coach Dick Harlow's charges, when they weren't working on protecting their kickers, devoted a large portion of their time to signal practice, which saw the head mentor make frequent changes in all three Varsity elevens.

Davis Doubtful Starter

Probable starters against the Bears include John Florentino and Wally Flynn at ends; Nod Dewey and Ed Davis or Dean Markham at tackles; Nick Rodis and Emil Drvaric at guards, Jack Fisher at center, and a backfield consisting of Henry Goethals or Frank Miklos at quarterback, Chip Gannon at wingback, Vince Moraee at fullback, and Captain Cleo O'Donnell at tailback.

The status of Davis remains uncertain, and if the big tackle is unable to play on Saturday, his position will be filled by Markham, who saw considerable defensive action against Dartmouth. Len Cummings, still out with a bad throat, will definitely not play, and George Hauptfuhrer, who was banged up in the Indian contest, is another doubtful performer.

Flynn Practice Standout

One of the outstanding features of this week's sessions has been the play of Leo Flynn, who has shown his best running form of the season. He is expected to see considerable action against the Bruins. Harlow now has six tailbacks available for duty: Cleo O'Donnell, Flynn, Paul Lazzaro, Ralph Petrillo, Bill Jackson, and Dave Farrell.

The Varsity's defensive workout was marked by the use of Bob Margairta, former Brown and Chicago Bear ace and backfield coach for the Crimson, who played the Bruins' Eddie Finn's quarterback slot for the squad imitating the Bear attack. Finn, whose back has been a cause of considerable concern to Coach Rip Engle this week, is the spark plug of the brown offense and their best passer. He is very likely to be ready against Harvard.