Graduate Council to Hold Open Parley on Policy of Scholarships

Authorization for an open meeting--the first of its kind--was gained by the Committee on Economic Problems of the Graduate School Advisory Council when its parent body met last night and approved plans for a public discussion at 8 o'clock Thursday evening in PBH on the scholarship policy of the GSAS.

The meeting, to be announced on departmental bulletin boards this morning, will consider the whole scope of the scholarship problem. A working subcommittee of the Graduate Council will be formed at that time to report its findings to the GSAS Committee on Scholarships.

The report will probably be made within the next three weeks.

Further reports on graduate problems being prepared by the Graduate Council include two by the Education Committee on language requirements and degree requirements in the various departments. The latter project has reached the hearings stage, and an open meeting, similar to the scholarship discussion.

The new Graduate Council also expects to investigate the centralized placement policy to determine whether the present system is adequate, and hold a series of lectures aimed at explaining American ways on an informal basis for newly-arrived foreign students.