Moravec, Drvaric Expected to Face Elis

Status of Gocthals Is Unknown As Crimson Opens Practice For Climetic Yale Tussle.

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Emil Drvaric and Vince Moravec, two of three Crimson regulars injured in the Brown game, appeared on the practice field yesterday, but restricted their activities to calisthenics with trainer Jimmy Cox, as the Varsity eleven opened preparations for its clash with Yale this Saturday.

It is unlikely that either Drvaric or Moravec will be subjected to any contact work in the heavy sessions scheduled before the Varsity's climactic tussle with the Bulldogs, but both are expected to be ready by Saturday. Henry Goethals, also injured against the Bruins, had a class yesterday, and did not appear for practice, so that his availability will not be known until this afternoon.

"Beat Yale" the Byword

"Beat Yale" is the legend scrawled in white chalk on every door and blackboard in the Indoor Athletic Building, and beat Yale was the motif which dominated an unusually long Monday workout. After working on several new plays designed for the Elis, the Varsity tested its defenses against the Bulldog T-formation attack, as run by Henry Lamar's Freshman eleven. Passer Jim Kenary played the role of Tex Furse, and Hal Moffle portrayed Levi Jackson.

Pass offense against the Eli 5-4-2 defense, which is Coach Howie Odell's stock in trade, and a long signal drill concluded opening day proceedings.

Yale game is an affair which involves no necessity for worry about the Crimson's psychological state. That the team will be "up" for its final contest, to a degree not paralleled since the Holy Cross game, is practically a foregone conclusion. Yesterday's drill was far more spirited than any other Monday session all fall.

Changes in the "A" eleven yesterday involved only injured and absent players, with no permanent alterations indicated. Bob Cowen filled in for Moravec at fullback, Frank Miklos took over Goethals' quarterback role, and Sid Smith ran in Drvaric's spot.