30 Freshmen Vice for Swim Team Positions

Hall Ulen's varsity swimmers deserted the exercise mat for their first aqueous practice yesterday, and found themselves inundated not only with water but a flood of 30 new Freshman candidates. "They don't sweat as much, but it's tough work just the same," aphorized Assistant Coach Bill Brooks, as successive six-man relays took of for 75 yard sprints.

After appraising the new flock carefully. Ulen picked four as outstanding potential three of them west who are eligible for Varsity competition despite Freshman standing. Charlie Grover tore off some fast laps, and showed the polish in stroke and turn that characterized his N.A.A.U. competitions in Boston last year.

Singled out for plaudits were Norman Walkins, who hails from Hawaiian waters, and Arty Phinney, an ex-Exeterite. Paul Killoran, unique in his non-service background also flashed considerable speed. Killoran was a member of a Sandusky, Ohio, aggregation that won the state championships last year.

Bernard Kelly, diving mentor, is sure that he'll "have some surprises by next March 8" when the Yalies visit the pool, in the person of Tom Drohan, best of the Crimson's springboard staff. He added that Bob Aaron is shaping up well, and that Pate Stephens, although leaving in a few weeks for Greece, will be a valuable asset when he returns to College minus his v-12 uniform in February.