Odell Gropes to Simulate Harlow System for Team

Charles P. Twitchell, Yale '46 Yale Daily News

NEW HAVEN, Nov. 19 -- Resuming heavy practice after a light workout yesterday, Coach Howie Odell put the first and second Yale teams to work against a Jayvee squad simulating Harvard formations today.

In a forty-five minute scrimmage, the first string worked throughout on defensive against the Crimson-clad Jayvees. Bruising play by the center of the Varsity line, Captain Dick Hollingshead, Fritz Barzilauskas, and Bill Schuler, made things easy for the secondary by stopping most of the ground plays at the line of scrimmage.

Preceding the contact work, Odell ran his charges through intensive passing and pass defensive drill, with flingers Tex Furse and Jack Robertson throwing to ends Vinnie Lynch, Dick Jenkins, and Jack Roderick. Roderick, slightly injured last week, was accustoming himself to a new helmet and noseguard.

Defense against aerial threats showed improvement over past performances this season. Art Fitzgerald, the halfback who scored three times against the Crimson last year, made his first appearance in heavy drill after a layoff of more than two weeks, following an aggravation of a pre-season injury in the Dartmouth game. Vandy Kirk, who broke his hand against Princeton, was on hand, but did not participate in heavy action.

Otherwise, the team is in top physical condition. Readiness in other respects will be tested on Saturday.