Crimson Catalogue

By W. R. F.

CAPTAIN CLEO O'DONNELL, left halfback, who makes up for his slight 150 pounds with sheer drive and know-how, was elected captain in 1943 but left for service before he could play in that capacity. The always shifty runner returned this fall to be re-elected to the same post. With an uncanny ability to size up enemy plays before they get under way, he is, in spite of his five-foot eight-inch stature, one of the best pass defenders on the Crimson squad.

* * * *

ENDS

WALT COULSON turned in a bang-up job as defensive end for the Crimson eleven until injured in the Rutgers fracas. Although he has been played sparingly in the last two games, he is expected to be back at full strength today. A man who, by sloughing off blockers, seldom lets his end be turned, he has registered more than his share of tackles this season.

JOHN FIORENTINO, freshman right end and brother of Holy Cross's Orange Bowl end, Ed. is a man whose steady play gains few cheers from the grandstand. Last week against Brown he showed he could catch passes when he snagged a flintier-tip aerial from Chip Gannon to open the scoring.

WALLY FLYNN, who was played by Dick Harlow "on a hunch" against Dartmouth two weeks ago, has turned in top-flight performances the last two games to make his bid for starting position against the Eli team. By far the best punter on the Crimson squad, he showed great defensive ability against Brown last week, more than once breaking through to throw Bruin backs for long losses.

* * * *

TACKLES

EDDIE DAVIS, all-New England tackle on the Crimson's 1944 informal team, has seen more game-time this year than any other member of the squad. Seldom moved out of his right tackle slot on defense, he is one of the men most responsible for the success of the Crimson's off-tackle smashes this season.

NED DEWEY, was one of the standouts on the 1945 squad. Agile for all of his 200 pounds, he was shifted to running guard when Emil Drvaric was injured but has since returned to his left tackle position. He gets through into the enemy backfield so fast that he is likely to participate in their ball-handling one of these days.

HOWIE HOUSTON, another 200-pounder, has vied with Ned Dewey all season for the starting call at left tackle. He is fast on his feet, last week blocking a Bruin punt for a safety, and will probably see considerable action against the Eli eleven today.

* * * *

GUARDS

EMIL DRVARIC, all city guard for two years in Milwaukee, enrolled at Harvard after playing freshman football at the University of Wisconsin. "One of the most outstanding guards I have over coached," according to Dick Harlow, Emil is the most vicious blocker on the Crimson squad. Although injuries have hampered his play all year, he is expected to be in good shape this afternoon.

NICK RODIS, Drvaric's running mate, has come in for special praise from Harlow in three games this season. The six-foot 205-pound left guard has improved steadily all year, consistently making more than his share of the tackles. A former New Hampshire all-state guard, he always tackles for keeps.

BOB DRENNAN, member of the Junior Varsity squad in 1943, can always be counted on to turn in a solid performance. Subbing for Rolls he has come through at several crucial times this season with concise blocks to open up the path for Crimson backs.

JIM FEINBERG has played a good deal of ball for the Crimson this fall, taking over the right guard spot for the injured Drvaric. Quick at sizing up enemy plays and seldom trapped out of position, he is a bulwark on defense.

* * * *

CENTER

JACK FISHER, proclaimed by sports writers as "one of the outstanding centers in the East," is the son of the late Robert T. Fisher who was head coach of the Crimson Varsity football teams from 1919 through 1925. Although his six-foot four-inch, 185-pound frame looks spare, he is not only the best pass defender on the squad, but the most rugged tackler.

* * * *

BACKS

HENRY GOETHALS, who seldom handles the ball, except in the T formation, is an iron man who played 60-minute roles against Rutgers and Holy Cross. As a backer-up, he has been an efficient hole-plugger all season.

CHIP GANNON is the Crimson's offensive piece de resistance. A shifty runner with a great knack for skipping down the sidelines, he has recently shown considerable ability also as a left-handed passer. The deceptive freshman's best game so far this year was against Dartmouth, when he ran 57 yards for one score, passed to Wally Flynn for another, and set up the third with a pass reception. While doing all this, he managed to find time to intercept three Big Green aerials.

KEN O'DONNELL, Captain Cleo's younger brother and equal in weight, is another one of those little men whose experience and determination more than compensate for their lack of size. Besides being a trick runner in own right, he is the squads best pass defender, with more interceptions to his credit than any other man.

VINCE MORAVEC is the Crimson's line puncher. Throwing all of his 200 pounds into it every time he lugs the ball he punctures holes by his own power when none are visible. On several occasions this fall, he has also shows some tricky open field running.