PBH to Pass Out Baskets to Needy At Thanksgiving

Organization Picks up Threads Of Full Pre-War Existence

Midway in its first full term of peace-time activity, Phillips Brooks House will resume its annual charitable functions of distributing Thanksgiving Baskets and sponsoring a Christmas Party for the poor of Cambridge.

Founded at the beginning of the century by Bishop Phillips Brooks, the motto of the student center is "Piety, Charity, Hospitality." The purpose of the House and organization is to help fulfill the social function of the college student in the Cambridge community.

During the war, PBH activities were interrupted, but it served a useful purpose in the war community by keeping Harvard service men in touch with the college and serving the social needs of servicemen stationed at Harvard through housing and nursery committees.

With the appointment of Charles W. Duhig '29 as Graduate Secretary this term, peacetime activities began again. Besides reviving its Christmas and Thanksgiving charitable movements, which are backed by funds from graduate contributors and from the Harvard Service Fund, Brooks House has initiated settlement house work in Boston's overpopulated areas for college students through its Social Service Committee.

Blood Drive Succeeds

An outgrowth of the War Service Committee, PBH's Blood Committee carried out a Blood Drive last week for University and Radcliffe students in which 171 pints were donated. Since the quota set for the University by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health was surpassed, members of the Harvard community may now draw free blood of any type from the Massachusetts Blood Bank free of charge.

A new venture of the organization this term is the Harvard Ticket Agency, which procures theater, concert, and sporting event tickets for students without service charge.

Meeting Facilities Provided

Another important function of the House is to provide facilities for student activities. The Student Council and the American Veterans' Committee have their offices in PBH, while many University organizations from the Harvard Dames to the John Reed Society use its rooms for meetings.

A recent addition to facilities is a 16 millimeter movie projector which was donated to the House by a member of the American Committee for Judaism. All groups meeting at the House may use the projector.

Phillips Brooks House publications have helped to acquaint new students with the University and with Brooks House activities. The "Harvard Handbook," distributed at Fall Registration and the "PBH News," which will appear later in the term, are two of their periodicals.

Ray R. Goldberg '48, president, announced last week the resurrection of the Freshman Committee of PBH, which helps to carry out philanthropic functions of the groups through members of the Freshman Class. The Freshman Committee was once used as a means of obtaining officers for the House instead of the competition system now in use.

Library, Speakers Function

Other activities of the organization include maintaining a lending library for textbooks currently in use, and a Speakers' Committee which furnishes student speakers and entertainers for clubs and parties throughout the metropolitan area. The latter committee was especially active at Halloween when it provided several entertainers and magicians for holiday parties.

The Hospital visitation committee of PBH visits patients at Stillman Infirmary daily filling student requests.