Yardling Eleven Wins Over Unbeaten Yale Frosh, 12-6

By William S. Fairfield

Sparked by the 65 and 85-yard scoring dashes of quarterback Jim Kenary, whose passing game was stymied by a slippery ball, Coach Henry Lamar's Yardling football eleven handed the Eli yearling gridders their only defeat of the season, 12 to 6, before 2,000 rain-drenched spectators yesterday afternoon in that sea of mud known as the Varsity practice field.

After a protracted punting duel, in which the only first down was registered by Crimson left halfback George Goodrich, the Yardling team opened up the scoring three minutes before the end of the first half when Kenary, who incidentally turned in 60-minute ball with a bad charlie horse, intercepted a wobbling Eli aerial and, outdistancing four Blue defenders, scooted 65 yards to pay dirt.

Elis Tie Score

Shortly after Kenary's try for extra point was wide, the half ended to stop the first sustained Yardling drive of the contest on the 35 yard line.

The Eli eleven surged back in the third period, after an exchange of punts had placed them on the Crimson 29 yard line, when Davis plunged over from the three to knot the count at 6 to 6. A pass attempt for the point after touchdown was incomplete.

However, the Eli's tie was short lived; for Kenary picked up the following kickoff on his own 15 yard line, and with Gordie Stensrud throwing a timely block, scampered 85 yards down the side-lines to score standing up. The try for extra point, a tricky Kenary to Mazzone pass from place-kick formation, failed, and the game's scoring ended with the Yardlings victorious, 12 to 6.

The lineup: Harvard Freshmen: Leavitt, l.e., Bradlee, l.t., Guiders, l.g., Ward, c., Hickey, r.g., Reed r.t., Mazzone, re., Kenary, q.b., Cramton, l.h.b., Mofile, f.b.

Yale Freshmen: McAlee, r.e., Geib, r.f., Johnson, r.g., Lovejoy, c., Bishop, l.g., Cirillo, l.t., Shay, l.e., Davis, q.b., Calhous, r.h.b, Phelps f.b.

Harvard substitutions: ends, Almy, McCoy; tackles, Stensrud, Stone, McCollough; guards, Kelley, Keily; center, Peabody; backs, Goodrich, Marangiello, Crafts, Merkle.