Crimson Network Celebrates Sixth Season in Radio

Broadcasters Originally Used Steampipes for Conductors; Now Employ Electric Wires

Six full years of broadcasting over steam pipes and electric light lines will be marked by the Crimson Network on Monday evening.

Started originally with the backing of the CRIMSON, the station began operations December 2, 1940 on a limited scale in Shephard Hall, since torn down. Programs now originate from the basement of Dudley Hall.

According to Network archives the first regularly-scheduled evening featured, as today, classical and popular music, but was spiced with an interview with French author Andre Maurois, a radio drama by the Workshop, and a program of the Instumental Club. In the remainder of the first week, Selective Service, Jimmy Lunceford, and a succession of Wellesley and Radcliffe girls were all presented to the College through the new medium.

Preparatory Tests Conducted

Eight months before the first regular program was aired technical tests were conducted, and experimental programs broadcast over the heating pipes, but that means of transmission proved unsatisfactory, and the entire system was overhauled to make use of the electric light lines, the channel now used by the Network.

Under its president, Harold P. Field '46, the Network's present plans call for continued expansion so that the Yard and the Business School will be connected to the system.