Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line
At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions
Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists
‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam
‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6
Six full years of broadcasting over steam pipes and electric light lines will be marked by the Crimson Network on Monday evening.
Started originally with the backing of the CRIMSON, the station began operations December 2, 1940 on a limited scale in Shephard Hall, since torn down. Programs now originate from the basement of Dudley Hall.
According to Network archives the first regularly-scheduled evening featured, as today, classical and popular music, but was spiced with an interview with French author Andre Maurois, a radio drama by the Workshop, and a program of the Instumental Club. In the remainder of the first week, Selective Service, Jimmy Lunceford, and a succession of Wellesley and Radcliffe girls were all presented to the College through the new medium.
Preparatory Tests Conducted
Eight months before the first regular program was aired technical tests were conducted, and experimental programs broadcast over the heating pipes, but that means of transmission proved unsatisfactory, and the entire system was overhauled to make use of the electric light lines, the channel now used by the Network.
Under its president, Harold P. Field '46, the Network's present plans call for continued expansion so that the Yard and the Business School will be connected to the system.
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.