Crimson Runners Face Tufts Team In Races Today

Fourteen Event Practice Meet Will Feature Ninety-Seven Varsity, Freshman Entrants

Meeting the season's first real test in a practice meet this afternoon in Tufts Cage, the 1947 indoor trackmen will face an Elephant team containing three former 1C4A point winners.

In order to get an accurate picture of his material, Coach Jaakko Mikkola has entered a record 97 tracksters in the fourteen event meet. Since there is no separate Freshman meet, the Varsity and Yardling runners will run against each other as well as Tufts, adding considerably to the numbers in each beat.

Harwood Injured

With Pete Harwood still on the injured list, the pole vault will see the Mikkolamen represented by Bill Lawrence and Owen Torrey. Both the broad jump and the high jump have attracted eight competitors. Former Varsity men Bob Donohue and Johnny Holbrook will appear in the broad jump and Johnny Harrigan and Varsity football end Pete Garland in the high jump.

In the traditionally strong weight department, "Chief" Miller and Bill Jackson will handle the shotput, while Jack Fisher, John Thorndike, and newcomer Sam Felton will throw the 35 pound hammer.

Conspicuous by his absence among the sprinters is Doug Pirnie, holder of the University 220 yard dash record, who will probably not run at all this season. In his stead, Bob Cameron and Harvey Thayer are slated to compete.

13 Entrants in 600

At the longer distances, Cliff Wharton and Dave Hamblett are among the thirteen entrants in the 600, while Ted Withington paces the ten 1000 yard runners. In the mile and two mile races, Frank Gurley, John Cogan, Harold May, Huna Rosenfeld, and Tom Walnut are expected to run.

Both relay teams have had considerable shuffling since Thursday's relay meet with Rhode Island and Brown. Coach Mikkola has picked for his mile quartet Jim Wheeler, A1 Ruby, A1 Pifer, and Dave Cavicke, but the two mile relay starters are still in doubt.