Savants Back Conant Ideas On Subsidies

Government Aid for Education Without Federal Limitations Sought by Compton, Marsh

President Karl T. Compton of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and President Daniel L. Marsh of Boston University yesterday expressed agreement with President Conant's advocacy of federal aid to education.

Although a business trip had prevented his hearing the Crimson Network's Thursday evening broadcast of President Conant's address, Compton nevertheless stated that he was acquainted with the latter's views on United States educational subsidies and was in "full agreement" with them. He declined to comment on such specific isues as the control of schools during the period of government aid because he had not heard the talk.

"Aid, Not Interference"

"Federal aid, but no federal interference," was the opinion of B. U. President Marsh. Also unfamiliar with President Conant's remarks, he stated, however, that government help is needed "in some places," and felt that it will exert a salutary influence as long as the actual educational reins remain in the hands of the local authorities.

"The country needs all the well-educated people of high calibre that it can get," continued Compton, and indicated that financial difficulties are keeping many of the nation's best men out of college at a time when there is a need for continued scientific progress.