Cagers Sink Brown Quintet 61 to 48, as Mariaschin Stars

By Jay K. Welse

Coach Bill Barclay's basketball team showed signs of developing the coordinated attack that had been missing in their first two outings of the season when they walloped an unsteady Brown quintet, '61 to 48, before 2000 disappointed fans at Providence Saturday night.

Dropping them in from all angles of the court and frequently breaking brough the Bruin defense to notch jay up shots as he garnered scoring honors with 22 points, Captain Sanl Muriaschin demonstrated an effective floor technique and key play making sense that issure him a prominent place in this year's Ivy League court galaxy.

Crimson Controls Backboard

George Hauptfuhrer, whose tricky pivots and capable tap ins noted him 10 points, and a fast-improving John Gantt ganged up to capitalize on Brown's back of height under the boards and dominate the rebounds all night. After a short flurry in the opening minutes that saw the Ewbankmen jump to a 10 to 7 lead. Mariaschin and company suapped back into command at 15 to 10, stayed in front at the half 29 to 19, and were never headed for the rest of the evening.

While Brown switched frantically from man to man to zone formations in a rain effort to throttle Mariaschin, the Crimson Varsity maintained its careful man to man defense all the way and effectively bottled up the Bruin attack. Hefty Captain George Crimshaw was held to 7 points, while the Zuber brothers, Paul and Dave, who paced the home team scoring, managed to dent the basket for a scant four field goals apiece.

It was lean Fred Schultz, however, who provided the big Brown thrill late in the second half when his almost single-hauded offensive pulled Brunonia to within 11 points of the Crimson after they had trailed 29 to 47. Slightly worried Coach Barclay sent back Mariaschin and Future, who had been enjoying their only rest of the evening, and his charges swiftly put the game on ice.

Hard-Fought Contest

Although used only sparingly Saturday sight, Leo page demonstrated a deft shot-making eye and ball-handling finesse that provided a welcome relief from what often threatened to be an unpolished, rough and ready ball game. He netted 10 points, while Gantt with five, Jack Noble with two, and Steve Davis and Bill Henry with one each completed the scoring for the victors.

The Barclaymen seemed to be getting their free throw eye into working-order as they totaled nine points from the foul line, with Mariaschin annexing four for four.

In the opener, a short scrappy Brown freshman team smothered the Crimson Jayvees 66 to 44 to offer a partisan crowd the evening's highlight. Bob Crotty, with 22 points, stood out for the losers.