Hard Work, No Glamour in Foreign Service, Explains Training Head of State Department

"A Foreign Service Officer must be a diplomat, as well as a business man, newspaper man, editor, attorney, judge, and research scholar," explained William P. Maddox, chief of the Division of Training Services of the State Department in an address sponsored by the Government Department at New Lecture Hall yesterday.

Emphasizing the many unfavorable aspects of embassy life, Maddox conceded that the Service has been improved, strengthened, and expanded by the Foreign Service Act of 1946, but cautioned that it is by no means "a career of exciting infrigne, purple romance, and glamorous social life."

When questioned by a student, Maddox declined comment on whether the Georgetown School of Foreign Service is America's best, but disclosed that Harvard has contributed more men to the U. S. diplomatic corps than has any other university in the country.

With only 800 posts in the Service, appointments are necessarily few, Maddox explained. He added that there are about 11,000 people continuously trying to break in, and that of the approximately 4,000 that take the required written and oral entrance examinations each year, only 70 are accepted.