Hanford Forecasts Gradual Let-up in War Credit Policy

Sees Many Exceptions in '48; Looking Forward to Advice From Student Council Group

Dean Hanford moved to clarify the University's attitude toward war service credit last night, as he released a statement of the Administrative Board's policy in granting requests for reduction of service-acquired credit.

The text of Dean Hanford's statement follows:

"The Administrative Board is reviewing the working of the present policy regarding war service credit, especially credit for training in military techniques, and looks forward with interest to the help which will be given by the recently appointed Student Council Committee on this subject.

"Although Harvard College will undoubtedly be as crowded during the Spring Term of this year as it is during the current term, it is expected that the enrolment will naturally fall off in the Summer Term of 1947. Students who feel that they have a good case for requesting a waiver of war service credit so as to delay their graduation until the end of the Summer Term of 1947 may petition the Administrative Board for such an exception."

More Exceptions in 1948 Seen

"Furthermore, from the evidence now available, although the pressure on enrolment will be greater than ever in the Fall of 1947, the Administrative Board is of the opinion that the pressure will not be as great after February 1948. Therefore, the Administrative Board later on may find it possible to make a somewhat larger number of exceptions in the granting of requests for the reduction of war service credit.

"The Administrative Board has already made a number of exceptions in special cases of hardship and is ready at all times to give careful consideration to the petition of any student."