Rumor 'Bunk' Says Gannon, Will Not Quit

Back Denies Traveler's Story; Globe Misquotes O'Donnell As Papers Have Field Day

By Irvin M. Horowitz

"Gannon to Quit Harvard" and "Harvard also Had Its Dissensions" were headline highlights in two Boston papers last night, and both statements met with vigorous, angry denials from the individuals concerned at the Varsity Club shortly afterwards.

The story on Gannon, carried under the by-line of Arthur Siegal, sports editor of the Boston Traveler, was called "a lie" by the Crimson wingback. "I don't know where he got the story," Gannon added, "but it's not true. We're going to have a good club next year, and it looks like people who don't like us are trying to ruin the team before we even get started."

"Just a Rumor," says Siegal

Siegal, admitting that Gannon's reported resignation was only a rumor, went on to say "he has been figuring that, as a Freshman at the age of 24, he's going to be missing a few years that might be spent more profitably," Reached at his office last night, the writer said his information came form "a usually god source," and reiterated the fact that his report had been just hearsay.

Meanwhile the Boston glob's Vern Miller '42 also had something to say. quoting Captain Cleo O'Donnell at Monday's football writers luncheon at the Hotel Kenmore, the former Varsity tackle put these words in Cleo's mouth: "At times this year we were troubled by the fact that service men don't take to coaching. Any sort of hounding, no matter how good the intention, was resented by the players. It took us all year to iron things out."

"What I actually said," Cleo declared angrily last night, "Was that all GIs playing football had a tendency to relax after they piled up a big lead. I was speaking in general, not about Harvard, and anybody that says there was dissension on the team this fall doesn't know what he's talking about."

"The story Will Cloney wrote in Tuesday's Boston Herald," the captain concluded, "is the truth, not what somebody thought I said."